Autumn Accent Fall Decor

P1020285

I made this for a class I taught last year, before I had a blog, so I’m going to share it now, as if it were new.  This decor piece is covered with leaves and acorns die cut from the Autumn Accent Bigz die from Stampin’ Up!  I used Cajun Craze, Cherry Cobbler, Crushed Curry, and Early Espresso Inks and cardstock for all color.  While the sentiment is cut with my Silhouette Cameo, I did use Early Espresso cardstock for the material.

P1020288

I wanted you to see a close up of the side, so you could see how this was made.  The base of this project is a painter’s canvas turned backwards.  You can pick these up at any craft store.  The camera washed out the side color, but I sponged all my ink colors on the sides to make them blend with the front.  I made my own mat using chipboard I covered with Early Espresso cardstock.  I cut it with a mat cutter to the size I wanted, but if you don’t have a mat cutter, you can use an exacto knife and metal ruler.  Use a tacky glue to adhere the mat to the frame, as that will give you some play, to get it in the right spot.  If you use a glue gun, you need to get it just right when you place the mat on the frame, as you can’t move it once it is down.

P1020287

I layered the three “c” colors onto the Bigz die at the same time and cut multiples of all the leaves, and then went back with small pieces of Espresso and cut just the tops of the acorns.  After that, I embossed everything with various embossing folders, to get the weathered look, and then sponged the die cuts with the inks.  You can even start with the matching ink to cardstock color, as it will still add dark spots to the paper.  I tried to use at least two colors on every die cut.

P1020286

Just experiment with your folders to see what you like best.  Some of these folders are now retired, but you are really just looking to add dimension and texture, rather than a specific design.  To get the curve of the acorns, I curved them by hand first, and then put a Dimensional under the middle.  I then took liquid adhesive and glued the edges down, where possible to help maintain the curve.  I made sure that only parts of the leaves were glued in any place, so they looked like loose leaves and I also worked them by hand to make sure none laid flat.  While I think you could use Tombo Liquid adhesive for this project, I think a tacky glue or other workable strong and thick adhesive is probably a better choice.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you’ll come back!  To purchase anything Stampin’ Up! you have seen here, go to Stampin’ Bon.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s